Ariadne is looking for Senior Linux System Administrator for a position at NCBI/NLM, part of the National Institutes of Health at the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD. The successful candidate will operate, maintain, upgrade and troubleshoot a large complex JIRA installation that support software development and help desk environment that provides medical and genomic information to cutting-edge researchers around the world in a high-visibility and high-availability system.
There are other teams responsible for Storage, Security, Database, Networking and Hardware Infrastructure, so this position does not require primary responsibility in those areas, but knowledge and experience in these areas are expected.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Hands-on provisioning of services, monitoring, upgrading hardware and software, configuration management, and understanding and maintaining peripheral services and software
- Take direction from the team lead and work within a team-environment to achieve organizational goals
- Provide technical solutions to a wide range of problems and user requests through an established trouble ticketing system.
- Develop custom tools in Puppet, Ruby, and Bash to automate the UNIX infrastructure
- Install, configure and maintain CentOS and associated applications in an automated Puppet environment
- Perform standard administration tasks (packaging, OS installs, patch management)
- Provide UNIX support to NCBI's internal developers and researchers.
- Comfortable with the Linux or UNIX CLI
- Demonstrated significant experience in Linux Systems Administration (5+ years)
- Highly versed in Linux administration and best practices
- Familiar with enterprise network architectures
- Experience with automated configuration management (Puppet, Chef, etc… Puppet is preferred).
- Fluency in programming/scripting skills for automation in at least two of Bash, Ruby, Python, and Perl
- General understanding of Linux internals (system calls, file systems, processes, etc…)
- General understanding of TCP/IP and related protocols (HTTP, FTP, NFS, etc…)
- Familiarity with large, complex Linux environments
- Comfortable dealing with users with varying levels of IT knowledge
- Team player who is nevertheless able to work with minimum supervision.
- Experience in a large, highly available Linux environment
- Experience with configuration management tools
- Experience with Git
- Experience supporting large web applications environment (we have 3.5 million users per day)
- Knowledge of cloud technology such as AWS.