The Senior Software Developer will work on solutions to support continued development of NCBI’s Sequence Read Archive (SRA) – the world premier archive of Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data and is a part of international collaboration that includes archives in Europe and Japan. SRA makes biological sequence data derived from NGS available to the research community to enhance reproducibility and allow for new discoveries by analyzing and comparing data sets. SRA is a BigData archive measured in tens of petabytes of stored data. The future development of SRA will make this data more useful for wide variety fields: Medical Health (genetic diseases, cancer, etc.), Public Health (food safety monitoring, antimicrobial resistance, viral outbreaks, etc.), microbial diversity, and many more.
- 3+ years of experience handling large amounts of data, hundreds of terrabytes or more
- Programming experience in a Linux environment
- Experience with Cloud technologies:
- AWS: EC2, S3, Lambda
- GCP: GKE, Google Store, Cloud functions
- Proficiency in at least one of programming languages: Java, C, C++
- Fluency in some of scripting languages such as bash, csh, perl, or python
- Ability to work with common structured documents (at least one of XML, JSON)
- Experience with open source projects
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, unit tests, integration and regression testing
- 5+ years of working with genetic and biological data
- Experience with MS SQL server, including XML typed data storage and manipulation
- Familiarity with NGS computational tools and formats (BWA, GATK, Galaxy, etc.)
- Demonstrated active involvement into open source communities (github, etc.)
- Experience managing production workflow of an online public databases
- Experience with RESTful API design.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, testing, and continued maintenance of the Sequence Read Archive (SRA) and related databases.
- Work with a diverse group of scientists, bioinformaticians and other developers across the center to implement efficient bioinformatics algorithms and to further advance the usefulness of SRA data.
- Facilitate development of “cloud ready” tools and pipelines to support sustainable scalability and enable use by collaborators and scientists in the field.
- Learn new technologies, keep up with the internal systems, and share your knowledge with the team.
- Lead other developers.
Thank you for your interest in our Senior Software Developer position!
We look forward to reviewing your application.
Click Apply button now!